Sunday, January 22, 2012

Magic is Might

So I'm in a magic class this semester. We were talking about why magic works. Magic works because people want it to work, people want to believe it, want to be amazed. The pleasure of magic is the suspension of one's understanding of reality.

Life is staring me in the face. I've got a stack of envelopes and applications here, praying a job will accept me before I graduate. It is a weird process to go through. Some days, I'm writing an address on the envelope and wondering what the heck I'm doing, wanting to go back to the days of hanging around with friends, going to parties, the only stress being to get a paper done on time. Other days, I'm walking to class, listening/ watching people act immature and I can't wait to leave school and go be an adult.

Who am I? What am I going to be? What do I want to be? What is actually achievable? Am I too old to believe in big dreams? Should I face the cold hard truth of reality? But, reality sucks. I don't want to grow up. I miss being a little girl, sitting in school and dreaming of the day I see my name in lights. I like the feeling in college, absorbing information in classes catered to my interests and filling me with ideas that this knowledge and this degree will lead me to achieving those dreams.

Then I realized where that feeling comes from. I want to believe that the impossible is achievable. I WANT to believe. I want it to work. I want reality to have a little magic in it. I guess you could call that desire 'hope'. There's that little piece in all of us that wants, no, hopes, that reality isn't as mundane as our rational mind thinks it is. Why would we have such a thing as imagination, if there was no point to it? We have imagination in order to go beyond logic and understanding. We have hopes and dreams so we have a reason to live. We have a desire for magic. And magic is. Magic is our imagination. Imagination is our magic. Without it, life would have no meaning, no drive. 

Believing in magic is what gives you strength in the hard times. Believing in magic is what suspends our reality even for just a little while. Believe that Magic is Might. Magic is our might. Our might to conquer the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment